Captain of an Air India flight that suddenly lost altitude last week is undergoing further laboratory testing after an initial screening indicated a result requiring confirmation.
India's Civil Aviation Ministry said the Airbus A320 was flying from Phuket to New Delhi on August 4 when it lost around 300 feet of altitude during cruise.
The aircraft stabilised and later landed safely in Delhi.
Under standard procedures, both pilots underwent screening for psychoactive substances following the incident. The initial result for the pilot-in-command prompted samples to be sent to a designated laboratory for confirmatory testing.
The ministry did not disclose what substance, if any, was indicated by the screening and said the final laboratory report is still awaited.
Both pilots have been taken off flying duties by India's Directorate General of Civil Aviation while the investigation continues.
The incident has been classified as serious and is being investigated by the country's Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau.
Air India said it was aware that post-flight screening had been carried out but had not been informed of the results. The airline said it would continue to cooperate with authorities.
An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 hit central Peru on Thursday, the United States Geological Survey said, although authorities reported no immediate casualties or damage.
At least 40 bodies, mostly of children, have been recovered after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria's northwest Sokoto state, local officials and residents said on Thursday.
Bangladeshi lawmakers elected veteran Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir as the country's new president on Thursday, making the longtime opposition figure the head of state after his party came to power in a major political transition.
Russian strikes have killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on Thursday as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a failure by Ukraine's allies to replenish its stock of air defence missiles was costing lives.
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped down from their royal duties and relocated to the US, a source close to the couple said.