Time running short for diplomacy as post-coup Niger talks stall

AFP

Niger mediation efforts appeared stalled on Wednesday after the leaders of a July coup rejected another diplomatic mission, and neighbouring allies who back the armed takeover appealed to the United Nations to prevent military intervention.

Niger's junta denied entry to a joint delegation from African countries and the UN on Tuesday, resisting pressure to negotiate ahead of a summit on Thursday in which the main regional bloc, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), will discuss the possible use of force.

The move has dimmed hopes of a diplomatic resolution to the standoff that threatens to further destabilise West Africa's Sahel region.

Neighbouring Mali and Burkina Faso, also ruled by military juntas, asked the UN Security Council in a letter on Tuesday to prevent any armed action against Niger, saying it would have "unpredictable" consequences and lead to the break-up of ECOWAS.

"The Transitional Governments of Burkina Faso and the Republic of Mali appeal to the primary responsibility of the Security Council... to use all means at its disposal to prevent armed action against a sovereign state," said the letter signed by both countries' foreign ministers and posted on X by the Malian foreign ministry.

They said they were committed to finding solutions through diplomacy and negotiation, but did not give details.

Mali and Burkina Faso had previously vowed to come to Niger's defence if the regional bloc intervened, saying they would consider that a declaration of war against them.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said late on Tuesday that he had spoken to ousted Niger President Mohamed Bazoum to express continued efforts to find a peaceful resolution to the crisis.

"The United States reiterates our call for the immediate release of him and his family," he posted on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter. Bazoum has been detained in his residence since the July 26 coup.

Nigeria's President and ECOWAS chairman Bola Tinubu imposed more sanctions on Tuesday aimed at squeezing entities and individuals involved in the takeover, and said all options were still on the table.

ECOWAS has said that the use of force would be a last resort if the soldiers do not step down and free Bazoum. The bloc's defence chiefs have agreed on a possible military action plan, which heads of state are expected to consider at their summit in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.